If you fancy a delicious, flavorful and healthy tomato sauce youre going to LOVE this!
Its inspired by a traditional Bulgarian dish called Patladjan s domaten sos In plain English: Eggplant with tomato sauce. In Bulgaria, its usually breaded then deep-fried, like Eggplant Parmigiana.
But I wanted to healthify it so that I could eat it anytime guilt-free.
To healthify this recipe you bake the eggplant in the oven. Or to save time, you can grill on it on stovetop or outside grill.
Its good for you and gives it a delicious smoky taste. Yum tastes like home!
I hope you enjoy it!
Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Saucy EggplantSavePrintAuthor: RecipeShortcuts.comIngredients
- 2 Eggplants
- 5-6 Fresh organic tomatoes, chopped or 1 (32oz) jar chopped organic tomatoes
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Organic low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Bay leafs
- Himalayan salt or sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
- Handful organic fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F and place whole eggplants on baking sheet. Roast for approximately 50 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- RecipeShortcut Tip: You can also grill the eggplants on medium heat if you prefer. That gives them a delicious smoky taste.
- For the sauce: In a large pan heat up the vegetable stock. Add minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, half of the chopped parsley and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes storing frequently until the sauce thickens.
- Take sauce off the stove, discard bay leaf.
- Take the eggplants out of the oven or grill and remove the skin and seeds. Chop into bite size pieced, add to the tomato sauce and season with more salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle in olive oil, add the remaining chopped fresh parley and serve.
- RecipeShortcut Tip: Make a large batch of the saucy eggplant and store in your fridge or freezer.